Unearthing creative possibilities: Trish Roque's website, personal blog, & portfolio

Drawing everyday is cathartic: day 27

Drawing everyday has not only been good for me but has also been quite a transformative experience. The changes are subtle but I’ve noticed how I’m starting to “see” differently. I’m starting to perceive the world in the language of drawing, that is, seeing form, shape, line, and depth. The last time I experienced this was the last time I drew almost everyday, back in college, which seems like a very long time ago.

It feels good to draw. I’m also looking forward to expanding my vocabulary of drawing to include color and texture. This will require that I move beyond my trusty and comfortable ball point pen and start experimenting with other tools.

In the meantime, here are several drawings with my trusty ball point pen on day 27:

This is Siwa, my 14 year-old dog, who has been fighting cancer for the past 2 years. Shes one of the sweetest souls Ive ever known. Jon laughed when I showed him this drawing. His response was, oh, just like the other 47 drawings of her in this pose. Yeah, this is pretty much her only state of being right now. But I still love her!

This is Siwa, my 14 year-old dog, who has been fighting cancer for the past 2 years. She's one of the sweetest souls I've ever known. Jon laughed when I showed him this drawing. His response was, oh, just like the other 47 drawings of her in this pose. Yeah, this is pretty much her only state of being right now. But I still love her!

My walks with Siwa right now goes like this: get in car, drive to park, walk 20 very slow paces, sniff trees, bushes, grass, other dogs, then plop down somewhere nice & shady, nose up in the air to catch the passing scent. I sit next to her, pull out my sketch book and draw. Life cant get any better than this.

My walks with Siwa right now goes like this: get in car, drive to park, walk 20 very slow paces while sniffing trees, bushes, grass, other dogs, then plop down somewhere nice & shady, nose up in the air to catch the passing scent. I sit next to her, pull out my sketch book and draw. Life can't get any better than this.

Essence of tree trunk.

Essence of tree trunk.

Tags: , , ,

Follow responses through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

21 Responses to “Drawing everyday is cathartic: day 27”

1. Alex Tan says:

Terrific stuff! The lines are brilliant as always, and a lot more points on the dog’s expression. I really love seeing things through your sensitive views

2. Alex Tan says:

Oh yeah, Trish, I forgot to mentioned that I did use markers for my blueberry cake drawing. I am glad you like it and thanks for the birthday wish ^^

3. Alissa says:

Go Trish! – great project and lovely drawings.

trish Reply:

@Alissa, Thank you! I checked out your Flickr page and got curious about the elephant. (I’m partial to elephants as this post shows: http://creativepathstudio.com/2006/10/elephant-crackup-and-other-revelations/) Anyway, I read your blurb and saw the link to the sketchbook project. You just inspired me! I’ll be sending my entry fee soon!

Alissa Reply:

@trish,

I hope you get the elephant theme assigned to you for the sketchjournal project. But I am sure you will enjoy whatever you have. I look forward to seeing your future drawings

4. Shirley says:

Your drawings are wonderful. Hopefully your new habit will be so set in stone that you won’t want to stop. I’ve read that it only takes 21 consecutive days to start a new program of any type.

5. Sketchgurl says:

Congrats on keeping up with your goal. I agree with you that drawing helps us see things in a different perspective. Keep going!

6. Sketchgurl says:

I love the way you have handled the tree drawing. Fantastic!

7. nancy t. says:

You go, girl!! Good for you for setting a goal and sticking to it. I really like your drawings – especially the one of the dog. Very nice job! nancy

8. Florence says:

These are wonderful. It is nice you shared this with us so we can see the changes in your drawings over 27days. What an inspiration to us beginners.

9. Dan Kent says:

Once again your drawings are beautiful. You have a beautiful style, and I cannot imagine how you do this with a ball point pen! 🙂

10. Possum Patty says:

Oh my, the tree trunk is gorgeous! Love your lines.

11. trish says:

Thank you everyone! It’s been so much fun getting back into drawing & sketching!

12. Lisa says:

Trish…your drawing as so detailed. I love them. Thanks for the words of encouragement on my blog. I am looking forward to adding more art to days. I love playing with my supplies. I even have a couple more things to add as of today.

[Reply]

13. I love your description about walking with Siwa. I love my sweet little Sophie and I let her sniff her way through our walks, even though I want to keep moving faster. I spend much of my life with her next to me while I sketch. I agree, it doesn’t get much better than that! Your drawings are great.

14. Phyllis says:

Trish, I feel like I’m watching a plant grow, and bud, and open blossom before my very eyes. All this and more inside the seed. Marvelous

trish Reply:

@Phyllis, Gosh Phyllis, I’m e-blushing! Thank you!

15. Revelle says:

Siwa looks like a very sweet old friend. My Shadow (a german shepherd) made it to almost 14. I still miss her. Enjoy these days!

trish Reply:

@Revelle, Siwa is a very sweet old gal! She’s helped me through a lot in the last 14 years – it’s going to be tough when she goes.

BTW, I looked at your blog & I absolutely LOVE your illustrations!

Revelle Reply:

@trish, Thanks! I try!
    Revelle

16. Louise says:

Trish, these drawings of Siwa are gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing you use some colour, since you are already so accomplished with pen and ink. I’m a total softy when it comes to animals, so your pictures of Diemos the cat really stood out to me as well. Adorable names, by the way!