Unearthing creative possibilities: Trish Roque's website, personal blog, & portfolio

Drawing marathon finish line & beyond

My intent in pushing myself to draw everyday, or at least close to everyday, was to make drawing a daily habit. It’s been an interesting exercise – one that has been good for my soul. I plan to continue this on a daily basis, not only because I’ve realized I CAN do this, but also because I am curious. This process is very much a journey and I am intrigued as to where it will lead me.

There were certainly days when I didn’t feel like drawing, but I made sure to just make marks on paper. There were also days when I didn’t have the time to draw – and on those days I felt like something was not quite right, but the next day would inevitably bring many scratches made on paper.

Although these past several days have been busy, I’ve managed to make it to day 30, and then some. Woo hoo!  Below are the results:

Day 30:

Fast sketches of kitties

Fast sketches of kitties

Hand & foot

Hand & foot

Day 29:

Shoe - can I count this as Everyday Matters Challenge #1?

Shoe - can I count this as Everyday Matters Challenge #1? On another note, my feet are entirely too big for my body & I'm not referring to the drawing!

Day 28:

Creek bank in one of the beautiful parks in Oakland, CA. Im trying to expand my tool kit and am now playing with carbon pencil. It has a very different tactile feel than my pen. Im not sure yet if I like it.

Creek bank in one of the beautiful parks in Oakland, CA. I'm trying to expand my tool kit and am now playing with carbon pencil. It has a very different tactile feel than my pen. I'm not sure yet if I like it.

Another mirror image - again with the serious look! Also carbon pencil on paper.

And a bonus!

The text on the book says: Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.

The text on the book says: "Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties."

When I started this marathon, I decided to become an active participant of Danny Gregory‘s Everyday Matters Yahoo Group.  Not only have I found new online friends (hi, EDM-ers!!), but I’ve also been inspired to start dabbling in color since a number of the artists in the group are accomplished watercolorists.

No, I haven’t done any watercolors yet, but I made this sketchbook to get started. (My moleskine hasn’t arrived so rather than wait, I decided to make one. It was fun!) Anyway, I’m just as curious as you are to see what I fill in those pages.

Tags: , , , ,

Follow responses through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

16 Responses to “Drawing marathon finish line & beyond”

1. Alex Tan says:

I am really happy for you Trish! You’d made it 🙂 with flying colors too. See things like that I wouldn’t be able to do because I know that I am not disciplined enough and I love sleeping too much.
    I really like the one you did on your left leg, and I love the folds on your pants. The sketchbook looks really really nice, and it’s almost like saying “come draw me and have fun…” softly to you.
    🙂 Thank you so much for all your kind words on my drawings, and of course the birthday wish. I am really glad that you liked my latest one. I’ll be on the roll to do the assignment one of my coworkers gave to me, to do faces of the close friends at work. For that, your work here has inspired me inevitably ^^

trish Reply:

@Alex Tan, It’s really interesting how I’m still juggling my priorities just so I can draw. Sometimes, all I can do is just make marks because I’ve found that time has slipped away. And like you, I do enjoy sleeping! But I’m looking forward to seeing your drawings of your friends! And thank you for the encouragement!

2. Shirley says:

Congratulations!! Keep it up and it really will start another journey for you. When I was starting my everyday drawing process more than 3 years ago, I was working long hours and sometimes had 5 minutes before bed to draw. Those were the days that I sketched a rubber band – which is surprisingly challenging and did improve my eye-hand coordination. Now I smile at those sketchbook pages, because they came to mean – tired, but persistent, and not willing to give up!!

trish Reply:

@Shirley, Wow, that’s great – more than 3 years ago? You’re still drawing everyday? That’s inspiration!

3. Sharon says:

Congratulations, Trish! Great job and wonderful sketches! Thanks for sharing them. 🙂

4. Ann says:

Congratulations! This is a wonderful collection of drawings and record of your 30 day project. I am so glad that you documented this here – it is all very inspiring!

5. Bénédicte says:

Beautiful sketches, and I see now why you are partial to pen and ink. Congratulations for your drawing marathon.

[Reply]

6. Yeah!!! Congratulations on your goal being met. Lovely art your produced and love the journal you made. Glad you joined EDM too so we could share your art quest.

7. susan says:

I do a little art every morning while the kettle boils and I always end up doing more. I am doing a challenge of weekly drawing as artist journals and other art are my first loves. Congrats on your 30 days.
    lots of love from susan in australia

8. trish says:

Thank you so much everyone! It really has been fun and joining EDM was a big part of the motivation for me to draw daily!

9. Dan Kent says:

Wow Trish, I just love the outside of the book. What did you use? – it looks like pastel but I doubt that because there would be a permanence problem. And of course the cats – I love the cats! Congratulations on your goal!

trish Reply:

@Dan Kent, Thanks Dan! The book is actually a mixed-media piece, a digital photo manipulation on canvas, re-worked with paint then covered with a protective varnish. I had fun making it!

trish Reply:

@Dan Kent, You can see the original photo manipulation here:

[Reply]

10. Congratulations! Love the little barefoot drawing and the book cover images and text!

11. delph says:

You’re doing great work here! I especially love your drawings of cats and dogs, they’re very tender and sweet! The book you made looks great, too!
    Drawing is great, it helps see things, it’s like a meditation except it’s easier : ) ! I too feel like something’s missing when I don’t draw for a day or two.

[Reply]

12. Hi there I loved your site. And about the text: “Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties” it is definetly right! When I finally accepted my simple drawing style my creativity was revealled. Loved your sketches!