Unearthing creative possibilities: Trish Roque's website, personal blog, & portfolio

Drawings: days 22 & 23

Wow, I’m actually posting these sooner than later. I’m so far on a roll with drawing everyday ~ I did miss yesterday but I made sure that I made time to draw today.

I also did a self-portrait for the first time in about a year. It turned out ok. I was a bit frustrated with the ball point pen because it was not making the marks I had anticipated. I think it’s time to invest in a good mechanical pencil. Anyone out there have a favorite they can recommend?

Day 23

My tool of choice for my journal is a papermate ball point pen. Im starting to feel its limitation, particularly when I need to make a mistake and need to rework a section. It gets messy and trying to redraw over erased pen marks smudges the ink. I think it may be time to find another tool.

My tool of choice for my journal is a papermate ball point pen. I'm starting to feel its limitation, particularly when I make a mistake and need to rework a section. It gets messy and trying to redraw over erased pen marks smudges the ink. I think it may be time to find another tool. On another note, Jon doesn't think this portrait looks like me. Oh well.

Day 22

Jons arm while on the phone & Jon watching TV. He looks a bit stiff in the TV watching mode, maybe because I kept chiding him about moving too much so he overcompensated ~ at least that was my interpretation.

Jon's arm while on the phone & Jon watching TV. He looks a bit stiff in the TV watching mode, maybe because I kept chiding him about moving too much so he overcompensated ~ at least that was my interpretation.

Jon reclining

Jon wasn't really posing because he was tired of posing for me so I had to draw him as quickly as I could in the amount of time he would give me.

Tags: , ,

Follow responses through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “Drawings: days 22 & 23”

1. donna noble says:

Great sketches of people. Thanks for sharing.

[Reply]

trish Reply:

@donna noble, Thank you!

[Reply]

2. Tammy says:

Wonderful! Love your self-portrait. You’ll have to keep a smile on your face next time – think of something funny.

[Reply]

trish Reply:

@Tammy, Yeah, I’m actually considering doing a whole series of funny faces a la Rembrandt. He had the best self-portraits!

[Reply]

3. Phyllis says:

They all show your gift for portraiture, but my favorite is what you captured when Jon was tired of posing for you and you had to be quick. You translated that energy onto the page. Well done!

[Reply]

4. raena says:

Wonderful work here!

I use kuru toga mechanical pencils that I got from http://www.jetpens.com. I just have two from the original series, although they have a high grade series now. (put out by Uniball)
    What I like about them is that they have an auto-rotate mechanism which keeps you working with a sharp point. The erasers are small, so if you do go with these, I recommend purchasing the extra erasers while you’re at it.

[Reply]

5. Alex Tan says:

The expressions like I wanted to say are great! The subtle and fine lines, the details, the transition from light to dark, they are all great 🙂

[Reply]

6. Gary says:

Very nice drawings. Ball points will tend to “blob up” on you too. It’s been a while – but I used to keep a collection of felt tip pens – as they dry out they make pretty cool tonal marks too.

[Reply]