Unearthing creative possibilities: Trish Roque's website, personal blog, & portfolio

Buddhist prayer for a dying beloved pet

Oh Buddhas & Bodhisattvas of the 10 directions and the three times,
Please protect and guide Siwa on her journey.
May she be free from fear and from clinging to this life.
May she have a favorite rebirth.

-Tibetan chant

Siwa, about an hour before she passed away

Siwa, 2/14/1996 - 11/16/2009; photo taken about an hour before she passed away

Tags: , , ,

Follow responses through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

12 Responses to “Buddhist prayer for a dying beloved pet”

1. Ellen says:

Rest in peace, sweet girl.

2. T.J. Mahaffey says:

A short note to say thank you for your this blog entry.

Over the past couple of days, I began searching out some Dharma-based comfort over my dog’s imminent euthanasia. I found your post and printed a copy of the prayer on a slip of paper for my pocket.

Through barely controlled tears, I read this aloud to my beloved dog, Stingl, several times as she lay sedated and breathing softly in my lap. We sat together on a blanket on the floor of our vet’s examination room.

That prayer gave me some sense of focus and mindfulness as I said goodbye to my dog for the last time.

Stingl
    1995 – 2010
    I love you

trish Reply:

@T.J. Mahaffey, I’m glad it was able to give you comfort.

I can’t take credit for this prayer though. I found it as well through another site: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2008/09/tibetan-buddhism-what-do-to-when-your-pet-dies/.

My condolences…what you went through is one of the hardest things any pet parent will ever have to go through. I am sure your Stingl felt your love through it all.

In Memory of Muffin:) Reply:

In Memory of Muffin:) – Sweetest Soul in a CAT:) She gave us 8 wondrous years…, pets are so loving, loyal, faithful to the very end…, and in return we (Human BEINGS:) grieve in their passing…,

3. Pam says:

Thank you. I had to say goodbye to my best friend, Molly the German Shepherd today. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make… but I know in my heart and soul it was the right one. It was compassionate to allow her to leave this world.

I held my Molly as she passed and fed her as many treats as she could eat as she passed. It was as good as it could have been.

Thank you for this.

4. Dear Ones:

I am an Energy Healer who has worked with many animals at all stages of their lives. Thank you for this site, these prayers and your compassion. Many times, it is when our beloved animal companions are dying is when their teachings come through the strongest. They truly teach and inspire us….and we give back love, compassion, and caring.

All Love,
    Padme A’Tea (Tashi Drolma)

Michelle Reply:

@Padme A’Tea (Tashi Drolma),

I was looking for a prayer for my Una, who passed just this last harvest moon. I was astounded (and then not) as I saw your dog siwa who easily could have been her litter mate.
    Thank you for sharing your lovely dedication to her here.
    ~May all Beings in all the realms be happy whole and peaceful. May all Beings in all realms locate and employ the causes of happiness, wellness and peace!~

5. Napoleon says:

Like everyone else I had been searching for something to help me as I stand watch over my true joy China as she moves on.
    I have been told it would be best to call a vet and put her to sleep. Since I first held her in my hand at three days old I realized her life was not mine to take. Through the years she would not turn in until she made her rounds to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be. So I stand watch until she moves on to where she needs to be.
    Again, Thank You.

Michelle Reply:

@Napoleon,
    Yes, stand watch, and give them as much prayers for peace. After all they give so freely and teach us about inherent nature.

Namaste~

6. Tracey says:

Thank you for this post and your blog. It help me so much in caring for my beautiful Mollie, helping her as she passed and mourning her loss.

Thank you for the kindness of sharing your experience. Wishing you the best.

7. Becky says:

Thank you for you post, for being here. I’m sitting with my precious Chinese Crested Meg in a warm, soft towel on my lap. She is about 12 years old. She came to us from a lady who rescued her from being a mom in a terrible puppy mill. She has been such a joy in our lives, but now she is leaving. I am so greatful to have found you and that you shared your own experience with Siwa.

[Reply]

8. Tears will NOT stop as I grieve for the Sweetest CAT named MUFFIN:) She always had a sweet smile on her face, fluffy tail high in the air …, she strode around like a Clydesdale Pony…, she was a Maine Coon, in all her glory:) Unlike human beings, cats have a pure soul that I believe Gods have a special place…, I only had her for 8 short years, but that Sweet cat gave me a lifetime of loyalty, pure hearted adoration (she loved getting her hair brushed like royalty:) SWEET MUFFIN my heart is heavy as I type this…, but in my HEART I know you (MUFFIN:) will be in a BETTER Place…, may your soul be comforted, your journey straight and true… May your angel wings be pure and light…, Goodbye:) for only a short while, we have eternity to see each other again. Susan/Ray/Melinda